The main landmarks of Burtons’ St Leonards.

Mercatoria


At the top of East Ascent is Mercatoria, the original service area of Burton’s town.  On the corner with Norman Road, was Lavatoria Square, where the washerwomen lived and worked.


Nearby, James Burton built the first National School in 1834 (now demolished).  A new school was built at the top of Mercatoria in 1847 on land given by Decimus Burton.

Horse & Groom


Also in Mercatoria is the town’s first pub, the Horse and Groom.  Built mainly for the benefit of the army of building workers that built St Leonards.

© 2010 The Burtons’ St Leonards Society Designed & built by A. Rumsey

Please click a number below for more information.

Service Area


East Ascent and the extensive mews (now largely residential) behind it was the commercial and service area of the town.

Previoustour_7.html
Nexttour_9.html
ABOUT
About the society and the work that we do.
Click for detailsabout_-_aims.html
HISTORY
The historic town and the men behind it.
Click for detailshistory_-_the_burtons.html
TOUR
Take a guided walk around the landmarks.
Click for detailstour.html
GALLERY
Our St Leonards past and present slideshow.
Click for detailsgallery.html
EVENTS
Get all the details for our next event here.
Click for detailsevents.html
CONTACT
Get in touch or even pay us a visit.
Click for detailscontact.html
JOIN
Your help’s invaluable. join the Society now.
Click for detailsjoin.html