The main landmarks of Burtons’ St Leonards.

Service Area


East Ascent and the extensive mews (now largely residential) behind it was the commercial and service area of the town.

Mercatoria


At the top of East Ascent is Mercatoria, the original service area of Burton’s town.  On the corner with Norman Road, was Lavatoria Square, where the washerwomen lived and worked.


Nearby, James Burton built the first National School in 1834 (now demolished).  A new school was built at the top of Mercatoria in 1847 on land given by Decimus Burton.

© 2010 The Burtons’ St Leonards Society Designed & built by A. Rumsey

Please click a number below for more information.

Double Villa


On the corner of East Ascent stands a Burton Double Villa. This Double Villa was one of two villas that flanked the Assembly Rooms Only this, the East Villa remains.

Previoustour_6.html
Nexttour_8.html
ABOUT
About the society and the work that we do.
Click for detailsabout_-_aims.html
HISTORY
The historic town and the men behind it.
Click for detailshistory_-_the_burtons.html
TOUR
Take a guided walk around the landmarks.
Click for detailstour.html
GALLERY
Our St Leonards past and present slideshow.
Click for detailsgallery.html
EVENTS
Get all the details for our next event here.
Click for detailsevents.html
CONTACT
Get in touch or even pay us a visit.
Click for detailscontact.html
JOIN
Your help’s invaluable. join the Society now.
Click for detailsjoin.html