The main landmarks of Burtons’ St Leonards.

© 2010 The Burtons’ St Leonards Society Designed & built by A. Rumsey

Please click a number below for more information.

Previoustour.html
Nexttour_3.html

Royal Victoria Hotel.


We begin at the Royal Victoria Hotel formerly the St Leonards Hotel. Neo-Classical colonnaded terraces flank the hotel, which was Burton’s seafront landmark building. The baths, which were between it and the sea, have been demolished.

Arched Gateway.


Towards Hastings stood James Burton’s original grand arched entrance gateway, called East Lodge. The Council quietly demolished it in 1895. A small memorial stone standing at the junction of Marina and Grand Parade now marks the site.

Assembly Rooms


Behind the hotel is the Masonic Hall, originally the Assembly Rooms, the centre of all social activities, where balls, concerts, public meetings and banquets were held.  For the latter the food was prepared in the Hotel and brought across the road through an underground tunnel.


Originally flanked to east and west by a

pair of graceful villas, only the East Villa

remains.


ABOUT
About the society and the work that we do.
Click for detailsabout_-_aims.html
HISTORY
The historic town and the men behind it.
Click for detailshistory_-_the_burtons.html
TOUR
Take a guided walk around the landmarks.
Click for detailstour.html
GALLERY
Our St Leonards past and present slideshow.
Click for detailsgallery.html
EVENTS
Get all the details for our next event here.
Click for detailsevents.html
CONTACT
Get in touch or even pay us a visit.
Click for detailscontact.html
JOIN
Your help’s invaluable. join the Society now.
Click for detailsjoin.html