The main landmarks of Burtons’ St Leonards.

Uplands School


The Archery Villas, designed by Decimus Burton, have been used for educational purposes since 1861.


It is currently used by the Art department of Hastings College. Planning permission is being sought to convert the Villas into residential apartments.

Archery Road


This is where the Archery Ground once stood and was home to the St Leonards Archers, who were founded in 1833. Princess Victoria presented the Archery Club with a special banner in 1834 and the archers became known as the Queen’s Royal St Leonards Archers after she was crowned queen.


In the 1960s the grand villas on this land were demolished, the gardens bulldozed and the multi story Hastings College was built. This brutal development amongst others  prompted the formation of the Burtons’
St Leonards Society who have campaigned since their inception in June 1970 to conserve Burton buildings and promote quality town planning in the area.

© 2010 The Burtons’ St Leonards Society Designed & built by A. Rumsey

Please click a number below for more information.

Maze Hill


Maze Hill is lined with striking 19th century

Gothic villas and is named after the maze

that once occupied the top end of St Leonards Gardens.

Previoustour_18.html
Nexttour_20.html
ABOUT
About the society and the work that we do.
Click for detailsabout_-_aims.html
HISTORY
The historic town and the men behind it.
Click for detailshistory_-_the_burtons.html
TOUR
Take a guided walk around the landmarks.
Click for detailstour.html
GALLERY
Our St Leonards past and present slideshow.
Click for detailsgallery.html
EVENTS
Get all the details for our next event here.
Click for detailsevents.html
CONTACT
Get in touch or even pay us a visit.
Click for detailscontact.html
JOIN
Your help’s invaluable. join the Society now.
Click for detailsjoin.html