The main landmarks of Burtons’ St Leonards.

The Uplands


Built from local Crowhurst bluestone, The Uplands is a group of substantially sized double villas built by Decimus Burton in the 1860s.

North Lodge


North Lodge spans Upper Maze Hill and was

originally built as a tollgate at the Northern entrance to St Leonards. Built by James Burton in 1830 to a mock Gothic castellated style. A toll road ran from here and joined up with the main London to Hastings Road. 


North Lodge became the family home to Jane Wood, James Burton’s daughter, and a later resident was Henry Rider Haggard who wrote King Solomon’s Mines amongst other well known works.


The archway became damaged by a large vehicle in 2002 and following its repair has remained closed to vehicles since.

© 2010 The Burtons’ St Leonards Society Designed & built by A. Rumsey

Please click a number below for more information.

Allegria


This property with its fine octagonal sitting room was James Burton’s own residence from 1831 until his death.

Previoustour_13.html
Nexttour_15.html
ABOUT
About the society and the work that we do.
Click for detailsabout_-_aims.html
HISTORY
The historic town and the men behind it.
Click for detailshistory_-_the_burtons.html
TOUR
Take a guided walk around the landmarks.
Click for detailstour.html
GALLERY
Our St Leonards past and present slideshow.
Click for detailsgallery.html
EVENTS
Get all the details for our next event here.
Click for detailsevents.html
CONTACT
Get in touch or even pay us a visit.
Click for detailscontact.html
JOIN
Your help’s invaluable. join the Society now.
Click for detailsjoin.html